There are lots of opportunities for children to develop their leadership skills in Clifford Primary School.
At the beginning of every academic year the whole school hold a, 'School Parliament Meeting,' to share the children's vision of how to improve the school environment and learning, including planning special events and trips. Everyone has the opportunity to have their say. Then once a month they meet to discuss events or topics in further detail and their voice really does make a difference.
Children in years 5 and 6 can apply to become peer mediators. Peer mediators help their peers resolve conflict, within the school playground, using mediation. The peer mediators are trained, through role play, to mediate and resolve disputes in a private, safe and confidential way. The peer mediators always works in pairs.
This important role can be extremely beneficial to the children in the playground as well as the peer mediators themselves.
Pupils in years 5 and 6 can apply to be part of a digital leaders’ team within their school. Their role is to support the use of technology, particularly iPads across the school. They do a variety of jobs including:
- Support the use of iPads and computers in school to support learning
- Share their skills and expertise with other pupils, classes and teachers.
- Assist the teachers setting up equipment in classrooms
- Lead lunchtime or after school computing / iPad clubs.
- Support teachers in using technology in the classroom.
- Have a good understanding of how to stay safe with technology and share that with others.
- Provide first line technical support in school.
- Attend training sessions when they are arranged both in and out of school.
In the summer term all of our year 6 children are trained to become, 'Sports Leaders.' The program lasts for 6 sessions. They learn how to plan and lead sporting events. Once they are trained they are ready to set up small sports clubs for the younger children in our school.